Home > Common Mistakes
- Software code written by contractors is a work for hire and my company owns it.
- I looked on the USPTO website and didn’t find anyone who has registered the exact same mark, so it must be okay to use.
- I am the exclusive U.S. distributor for a product that I import from a foreign manufacturer. Since they don’t sell the widget here in the US, I am going to get a patent on it.
- I will just keep my invention as a trade secret.
- I am going to wait to file for a patent on our new product until we begin to show a profit in the business.
Each of these could be a costly “mistake” to you and your company.